Saturday, June 28, 2008

Who Do You Say I AM? (Sts. Peter & Paul Homily)

Let’s imagine that the disciples are traveling with Jesus. Suddenly Jesus turns around and asks them, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” First they mumble and try to say something that they have heard. “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” Jesus doesn’t comment on these opinions at all, probably knowing what they are to say, rather, he intently looks at them and asks, “Who do you say that I am?”

Now I ask you in the name of Jesus, “Who do you say that I am?” (Interacting with people, listening to their answers and asking ‘why do you say that?’)

 

“Who do you say that I am?” This is not only the ultimate question that we Christians must answer but also the challenging question that we Christians must find an answer on our own. In order to ratify this statement, let me invite St. Peter to our pulpit.

 

(St. Peter speaks) Good evening/morning, everyone. I am Peter the apostle for whom with St. Paul you celebrate the solemn feast today. I am truly honored to be remembered as the leader of the apostles and the rock upon which my Lord built the church. But today I would like to bring up something you never find in the gospel unless you understand my whole life with my Lord.

 

When my Lord asked, “Who do you say that I am?” unlikely many believe, I was not the one who gave the famous answer—“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” because the author of the gospel of Matthew wanted to describe me as the leader of the apostles, so he chose me to speak the poignant profession on Jesus. It didn’t actually matter whether I said it or not for you can find what I was thinking in the following passage of the gospel. Right after the profession, Jesus revealed the first prediction of the Passion to the apostles. And I took him aside and said to him “God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you.” Oh, how foolish I was, not trusting his words and putting my own agenda for the Lord! Now I become truly grateful to remember the Lord’s rebuke, “Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.” And he continued on saying, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” It really took for a long time to understand these words. As you know, I ran away, leaving my Lord to the Romans who killed him, while betraying him tree times. I, once called Satan by the Lord, confess before you, this is truer about me. Although saved from the crucifixion, my life was not the same anymore. I was dead as well.

 

However, the resurrection came to me. When the Lord was raised from the dead, he didn’t forget me. One morning my Lord showed up on the seashore, saying to me, “Come, have breakfast.” My Lord took the bread and gave it to me, and in like manner the fish. It was the same peaceful regular breakfast we had all the time. We walked along the seashore after the breakfast. I had nothing to say, thinking about my betrayal. Thankfully, my Lord opened his mouth first, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” It was another challenging question I had to answer like “Who do you say that I am?” because it could be my last chance to express how much I loved my Lord. “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” But my Lord asked the same question again and again. My heart became numb. I instinctively knew I didn’t hit the nail and my Lord actually knew myself better than me. But what else could I say? “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.”

 

My dear friends, can you see why I started talking of Jesus’ question—“Who do you say that I am?” and my last encounter with him? My faith journey was nothing but to know the difference between knowing about Jesus and knowing Jesus himself and to move from informative knowledge to transformative knowledge. I probably knew Jesus was special as a miracle worker, possibly the Son of God like many said. But that didn’t affect me at all because it was all about information with many ideas until I suffered with my own weakness and was transformed by confessing with humility, “You know everything, Lord, that I love you.” It was my personal encounter with the Lord nothing like what I heard. And the more important thing is that it was not ended in words. It entailed my action to prove as my Lord asked, “Follow me.” As my colleague St. Paul rightly put it, “I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.” It is all about life-long commitment in personal relationship with the Lord.

 

“Who do you say that I am?” You need to find your own answer for this question. And it will take a lot of courage on your part in trying to answer. You may mumble first and convey others’ answers. It is OK. However, only your own words can keep you steadfast in difficult times and lead you to the deeper encounter with the Lord. Thanking for his kind invitation for me, I hope Fr. H.Paul has found his own answer for this. Let us praise the name of the Lord for he is good always.

 

(After the final prayer) Peter’s faith journey was nothing but his personal discovery of who Jesus was to him. In this sense, we are all called to find our own answer for “Who do you say that I am?” To me, Jesus is my best friend because I truly believe that the core of priesthood is being a friend of Jesus Christ as Pope Benedict said and there is nothing more beautiful than to know him and to speak to others of our friendship with him. That’s why I need to pray to know him deeper and deeper and to encounter who the Father is through him.

No comments: